Speakers

Prof. Dr. MARTIN KILO


Interim Head for Glass and Enamel Technology
TU BA Freiberg, DE

​​​​

​​​​​Bio​

Born 1965
Study of Chemistry, University Mainz/Germany
PhD in Chemistry, University Bayreuth/Germany
Habilitation in Materials Science, TU Clausthal/Germany
From 2009-2018: Fraunhofer ISC, Würzburg/Germany: Special glass and glass ceramics
Since 2018: TU BA Freiberg/Germany, Interim head of professorship for glass and enamel technology


​Presentation ​

Special Glass and Glass Ceramics

More than 80% of all glass produced worldwide is soda lime glass, where the composition is more or less similar for all manufacturers. The remaining 20% of glass are special glasses, where the compositions are differing quite largely. Here are some glasses and glass ceramics which are produced in small amounts, but of large value, but on the other hand, there are also glasses which are prepared in larger amounts but of low price.

In the current paper, the development of two materials is being described:

Special glasses which are used for coating of glass. These glasses are being used as the base material for decorating hollow glass, either lab glass (borosilicate glass) or soda lime glass, after addition of respective color pigments. The special glass should have the same properties as the glass to be decorated, except that the glass transition temperature of the glass should be significantly lower than the glass transition point of the base glass. Both for soda lime glass as well as for borosilicate glass, there are several solutions available, including lead-free solutions. The base glasses can be crystallizing during the application process, leading to decorations with other properties.

Foam glass. This is a special glass system which is used for various applications, mainly in the building application. The base of the material is glass powder, added with some foaming agents. By tuning the system due to addition of further components to the glass powder mixture, and by tuning the foaming process, it is possible to prepare foamed glass with different shapes and pore size distributions and pore types (open, closed pores). The material can be used also for the construction of high-temperature furnaces with high thermal insulation properties, and higher energy efficiency.

Furthermore, some fundamental aspects on the development of new glass systems are described in the presentation.

​​​